It doesn’t take much of watching the news or browsing through social media before you hear of some story where someone has been killed or there is some group opposing the other or some other crime. Let’s face it. Our world has become a despot of disorder and evil of every kind! James 3:16 explains why this occurs every single day. This verse says, “For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind.” Jealousy. Selfish Ambition. Do you know what is at the root of jealousy and selfish ambition? ME. YOU. And the root problem of me and you is SIN.
You see, our problem is that we have become a society of “it’s all about me.” We each think that our own rights are more important than someone else’s and if the other person doesn’t agree, then we become offended. We believe we are the only one that is right and everyone else is wrong but we never take the time to measure right and wrong against the truth of God’s Word….because if we did, we just might be convicted of our sin and have to change our thinking. The simple truth of the matter is our world has lost the art of respecting others. Many people only care about themselves and they could care less how their words and actions affect the world around them as long as they get what they want. Our world has become a society full of two year olds who are all in the middle of the world’s biggest temper tantrum!
It is time we get back to caring about other before ourselves. Here is what the Bible teaches:
- Luke 6:31 – Just as you want others to do for you, do the same for them.
- Leviticus 19:18 – Do not take revenge or bear a grudge against members of your community, but love your neighbor as yourself;
- John 13:34 – A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another
- 1 John 4:20 – If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.
- Philippian 2:3-4 – Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.
- 1 John 4:11 – Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
- Proverbs 10:12 – Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.
- 1 Peter 4:9 – Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.
Ultimately, the answer to such hate, jealousy, and self-centeredness is Christ. Although Christ is the answer, the world wants to blot Christ out. The more Christ is taken out of the world, the more freedom Satan has and the more our world sinks into the despot pool of sin.
Christians, it’s time for us to fall on our knees and pray for a revival like this world has never seen before. Christ is the only answer to what the world needs. We can be silent no more! Yet our words need to be taken to God in prayer because He is the only one who can change the hearts of people. We need to be living our lives as a beacon of hope to this lost world. Our words and actions should not be like the worlds, but should reflect and imitate our Savior. Romans 12:2 says, “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” The Bible also says, “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:13-16). Our words and our lives should be testimonies of our Savior so that those lost without Christ may know Him.
Would you be willing to take a few moments at the beginning of each day to pray for God to bring a revival to our world? If so, leave a comment and let us know that you will join us in praying for revival.