Each week we will post a scripture to challenge you to hide God’s Word in your heart. Commit it to memory, meditate on it and apply it to your life.
This week’s verse:
I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh which I shall give for the life of the world.
Meditate and apply:
- True satisfaction is only found through a relationship with Jesus Christ. Without him, there is a deep, unsatisfied hunger in our souls that only Jesus – the bread of life – can satisfy. We might attempt to satisfy it in other ways, such as friends, job, children, relationships, hobbies, etc., but earthly things will never fill us. What have you attempted in the past or present to fill this hunger with, other than Jesus?
- God has a purpose in us experiencing spiritual hunger. Just as when you become hungry physically it causes you to want food, spiritual hunger causes us to want the Bread of Life.
- The very first time we see God calling Himself “I AM” is in Exodus when Moses asks God, “Who should I tell the people sent me?” God replies, “Tell them I AM sent you.” God was saying that His very presence was everything the people needed. As Lysa TerKeurst wrote in “Finding I AM,” God was “all peace, all provision, all perfection, and all protection.” As the Bread of Life, Jesus is all we need to live full and abundant lives.
- The Bible uses two work for “life.” The first is “bios” which means “breath in your lungs or physical life.” It is only used 10 times in the Bible. The other is “zoe” It is used 135 times and means “Possess with vitality looking ot the fullness of life.”(see footnote). Are you more concerned with bios or zoe life?
- You’ve heard of the saying, “You are what you eat.” The same could be said of our spiritual lives. Just as we choose the foods that we put into our bodies, so do we choose what we will consume to fill our emotional and spiritual lives.
- What do you need to do to help you satisfy your spiritual hunger? Do you need to get deeper into the study of God’s Word? Pray more? Take time to just be still and listen to His voice?
Lysa TerKeurst, Finding I Am, (Nashville: LifeWay Press, 2016), 17.
William Arndt, Fredrick W. Danker, and Walter Bauer, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and OTher Early Chritian LIterature (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000), 177; Gerhard Kittel, Gerhard, Friedrick, and Geoffry William Bromily, Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (Grand Rapids, MI: W. B. Eerdmans, 1985), 290
God, Love and Marshmallow Wars: This book contains 365 daily challenges for couples to strengthen their relationships to each other and with God. Couples will complete activities such as Scripture memory, conversation starters, relationship builders, learning about Biblical marriage, romance builders, personal reflections, and date ideas. Click here to purchase your copy. (This link will open a new widow and take you to Westbow Press’ bookstore.) It is also available at Christian Book Distributors, Amazon, and Barnes & Nobel
Looking for a speaker for your next ministry event? Julia is now booking for 2019 and 2020 Christian events for women’s and couples’ ministries for both small and large events.
Book with us now.
Julia is CEO of Wellspring Christian Ministries, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping people and couples develop a passionate relationship with God. A public speaker, conference trainer, event planner, and blog writer, Julia is a two-time graduate from Grand Canyon University with a bachelor in Psychology and a masters in Professional Counseling. Saved as a child and raised in church and in a Christian home and private Christian School as a Pastor’s kid, Julia has taught Sunday school, led music, played the piano, served as Children’s Director, and engaged her gifts in many other areas of church life. Previously employed with the Florida Baptist Convention, Julia organized events and led conferences for church ministry assistants.
Julia enjoys sharing her journey as a growing Christian with others looking for a deeper connection with God. Through Bible study and her own life experiences, God has given Julia a passion to help couples understand God’s design for marriage while they learn to place God first in their marriage, cultivate meaningful relationships, build intimacy, and address the tougher issues that come in every marriage so that they can experience a marriage that honors and glorifies God. Julia also loves mentoring, teaching, and working with women to help them learn to live as Godly women.
With her history and experience growing up in both small and large churches, Julia enjoys bringing top level quality events to churches of all sizes. Her father largely pastored small churches and therefore she understands that these vital parts of the believing community need to be good stewards of the resources God provides them with. This knowledge inspires her passion for being available with a fresh perspective for those who want to provide their congregations with meaningful spiritual growth opportunities.
Or call us at 904.524.8073