Our tongue is one of the the most powerful thing in the universe. And like most things of power, it can be used for good or bad. It can dish out curses or it can pour out blessings. It can be a weapon or it can be a healer. Our words matter.
In Numbers 6, God gave instructions to the priests to share God’s blessings upon God’s people. God intended for their words to change people’s lives, their families, and their futures – for the good. He instructed them to say:
“The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make His face to shine upon you; And be gracious to you; the LORD lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.” (RSV)
What does this blessing mean? Let’s break down each line.
- “The Lord bless you and keep you.” This statement was a prayer asking God to protect His people, sustain them, and guard them. In Matthew 18:10, Jesus said, “See that you do not despise one of these little ones for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually behold the face of My Father in heaven.” Jesus revealed that the angels watch over and guard the children on earth, and at the same time, they are looking at God’s shining face in heaven.
- “The Lord make His face shine upon you.” This statement was a request for God to grant them His favor. God’s favor, or grace, is God giving us the ability to do something which is humanly impossible for us to do. The “favor of God” can be described as a divine kindness, or an act of true compassion on the part of God Himself toward needy and undeserving human recipients. Often in Scripture this act of God toward unworthy men or women is referred to as God’s “grace” – which means “the unmerited favor of God,” It also implies that God does not shine His face on everyone. He causes His face to shine on those who seek His face and want to be a blessing to Him.
- “And be gracious to you.” To be gracious means ‘to favor,’ ‘to show kindnesses’ to an inferior, and ‘to be compassionate.’ It is God surrounding you with His steadfast lovingkindness. In Isaiah 30:18 it says, “Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion.” God is gracious because He is love. It is His character to love even if love is not returned to Him. He will give us good things because of His goodness. He extends favor, mercy, and kindness on whoever He pleases because it’s who He is.
- “The Lord up His countenance upon you.” This is is a picture of a father smiling and taking pleasure in his child. When the Lord lifts His countenance upon us, it shows that He is looking on us for our good. It is him turning His face towards with with divine approval.
- “And give you peace.” In other words, a tranquil heart and life – even in the midst of trails and the storms of life.
It is important for us to understand that these are not just words to be repeated like “God is good, God is great, let us thank him for our food.” These words were given by God to the priests to say to the people – words that would being God’s literal protection, favor, love, approval and peace.
Were these words only meant to be used by Aaron’s sons, the priests? Today, we are a priesthood of believers as followers of Christ and we have the power and wonderful privilege to bless others with the words we say. By saying words of blessing over another person, we are in fact sending a supernatural blessing to the person over whom we speak those words.
Consider these verses that tell us about the power of our words:
- Proverbs 11:9 “Evil words destroy one’s friends; wise discernment rescues the godly.”
- Proverbs 11:12 “It is foolish to belittle a neighbor; a person with good sense remains silent.”
- Proverbs 11:17 “Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel.”
- Proverbs 15: 1 “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but hard words stir up anger.”
- Proverbs 15:4 “Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.”
- Proverbs 16:24 “Kind words are like honey–sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.”
- Proverbs 18:4 “A person’s words can be life-giving water; words of true wisdom are as refreshing as a bubbling brook.”
- Proverbs 18:20 “Words satisfy the soul as food satisfies the stomach; the right words on a person’s lips bring satisfaction.”
- Proverbs 20:15 “Wise speech is rarer and more valuable than gold and rubies.”
- Proverbs 25:18 “Telling lies about others is as harmful as hitting them with an ax, wounding them with a sword, or shooting them with a sharp arrow.”
What if because of the words we say, someone didn’t fulfill God’s plan for their life because we said it was an impossible dream?
What if because of the words we say, we make a child, friend, staff person feel like a failure?
What if because of the words we say, a lost person rejects Christ?
Our words have power.
What if when the crazy driver cuts you off you say words of blessing over them?
What if when your spouse says something hurtful you say words of blessing over them?
What if when your children leave for school you say words of blessing over them?
What if you tyrant boss makes you feel like an idiot and you respond with words of blessing?
What will the words you speak today bring to others – curses or blessing? Will you speak life?
#wordsmatter #powerofword #speaklife #blessingothers
Don’t forget to learn this week’s memory verse:
Will You not revive us again so that Your people may rejoice in You? Show us Your faithful love, Lord, and give us Your salvation.
Meditate and apply:
Will you commit to praying with us in 2020 that God will revive His people, renew our faith, and redeem our land? We feel such an urgency and desperation for revival. If God is moving your heart for revival, write your revival prayer in the comments along with your state or country.
#revive #renew #redeem #revivalinAmerica #revivalin2020 #WCM
This week’s featured design is taken from our memory verse – Psalm 85:6-7.
You’ll find the design in tees for men, women, kids, mugs, bags, and other products. The design is also available in white print or black. Check them out in the Spreadshirt shop.
All proceeds go to the advancement of Wellspring Christian Ministries.
Thank you for helping us grow!
#Reviveusagain #WCM #teespring #spreadshop
BOOKING NOW! Be a host site for the NEW God, Love & Marshmallow Wars Book Tour & Couples Conference:
This event helps couples understand why the daily activities found in the book will equip them to build a stronger marriage and the book provides them with 365 intentional activities to take what they learn at the event and apply it on a daily basis. Through the event, couples will discover the Biblical “why” behind the categories of activities found in the book and the “how” these activities are important to building a stronger marriage. Focus points of the event includes :
- How memorizing scripture together and studying God’s Word together as they study, meditate and apply scriptures related to marriage and life issues will help them develop marriages that honor God.
- Why utilizing fun conversation starters that spark meaningful conversations will keep interest alive as they continually learn new things about each other.
- Why keeping romance alive is essential to intimacy and connectivity.
- How making memories and working together builds relationship investment bonds and how these investment bonds can become the knots that keeps them together through the tough times.
- How they can understand what they are or are not contributing to the marriage as well as how they might be contributing to problems or potential problems within the relationship through the use of targeted, intentional personal reflections
- Why it is important that couples never stop dating and how group dates with Christian friends can be both an encouragement and accountability to their own relationship.
During the event, couples will be given an activity from each focus point to do together, making this event an interactive, fun, and engaging event with practical, hands-on learning. Unlike other couple events that are over when the event ends, couples who attend the GLMW event will be able to apply what they learn when utilizing the book on a daily basis for a year. Since the book is not dated, couples are able to reuse the activities year after year to continue being intentional in strengthening their relationship with each other and with God as they strive to live out God’s design for marriage every day.
Learn more about hosting this event at your church or conference site by clicking here.
About the book: The GLMW book contains 365 daily challenges for couples to strengthen their relationships to each other and with God. Couples will complete activities such as Scripture memory, conversation starters, relationship builders, learning about Biblical marriage, romance builders, personal reflections, and date ideas. Click here to purchase your copy. (This link will open a new widow and take you to Westbow Press’ bookstore.) It is also available at Christian Book Distributors, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble
#GLMW #couplesevent #GLMWbook #intentionalmarriage #Godlymarriage
Looking for a keynote speaker for your next ministry event? Julia is now booking for 2019 and 2020 Christian events for women’s and couples’ ministries for both small and large events.
Book with us now.
Julia is CEO of Wellspring Christian Ministries, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping people and couples develop a passionate relationship with God. A public speaker, conference trainer, event planner, and blog writer, Julia is a two-time graduate from Grand Canyon University with a bachelor in Psychology and a masters in Professional Counseling. Saved as a child and raised in church and in a Christian home and private Christian School as a Pastor’s kid, Julia has taught Sunday school, led music, played the piano, served as Children’s Director, and engaged her gifts in many other areas of church life. Previously employed with the Florida Baptist Convention, Julia organized events and led conferences for church ministry assistants. Today, Julia enjoys sharing her journey as a growing Christian with others looking for a deeper connection with God. Through Bible study and her own life experiences, God has given Julia a passion to help couples understand God’s design for marriage while they learn to place God first in their marriage, cultivate meaningful relationships, build intimacy, and address the tougher issues that come in every marriage so that they can experience a marriage that honors and glorifies God. Julia also loves mentoring, teaching, and working with women to help them learn to live as Godly women.
With her history and experience growing up in both small and large churches, Julia enjoys bringing top level quality events to churches of all sizes. Her father largely pastored small churches and therefore she understands that these vital parts of the believing community need to be good stewards of the resources God provides them with. This knowledge inspires her passion for being available with a fresh perspective for those who want to provide their congregations with meaningful spiritual growth opportunities, regardless of size.
Or call us at 904.524.8073
#JuliaBruce #speaker #keynote #author
Wellspring receives an 8% commission for any item purchased
at CBD through any of these links. Your cost to purchase any item through an affiliate link is the same as purchasing directly from CBD.
Clicking any affiliate link will open a new browser page and take you to Christian Book Distributor’s website.
Check out these items from Christian Book Distributors.
Our organization receives an 8% commission on any item you purchase through these links. However, the product price is the same for you. There is no increase in your cost for us to receive the commission. All commissions receive support the work and ministry of Wellspring Christian Ministries.
|The God Who Hears
By W. Bingham Hunter / InterVarsity Press
The true aim of prayer is intimacy with God. We pray effectively when we make him the desire of our hearts. Hunter answers our questions about prayer by directing us to the nature and attributes of God and to our own lives. God responds not to our prayers but to who we are – what we think, feel, will and do. Prayer is communication from whole persons to the Wholeness that is the living God.W. Bingham Hunter (Ph. D., University of Aberdeen) is academic dean and senior vice president of education at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School at Trinity International University. He handles tricky issues with warmth and insight, offering scriptural answers to practical concerns such as the role of fasting, obedience and persistence. His aim is that we draw near to God.
|Praying Women: How to Pray When You Don’t Know What to Say
By Sheila Walsh / Baker Books
We know that prayer is central to our faith, but do you sometimes find it boring? Are you easily distracted? Do you doubt God is listening? Walsh shares practical, biblically based tips to help you ignite your conversation with the Lord. Discover how to pray through your pain, when heaven seems silent, and more.
|Twelve Ordinary Men
By John MacArthur / Thomas Nelson
In John MacArthur’s Twelve Ordinary Men, you’ll discover that contrary to popular belief, we do not have to be perfect to do God’s work. Look no further than the twelve disciples whose many weaknesses are forever preserved throughout the pages of the New Testament. Jesus chose ordinary men – fisherman, tax collectors, political zealots – and turned their weakness into strength, producing greatness from utter uselessness. Join MacArthur as he draws principles from Christ’s careful, hands-on training of the original twelve disciples for today’s modern disciple – you! Paperback.
By Julia M. Bruce / WestBow Press
|The Power of a Praying Husband
By Stormie Omartian / Harvest House Publishers
In The Power of a Praying ® Husband, you’ll find the excitement and hope that come from inviting the God who hears and answers prayer into your marriage. Packed with real-life examples and refreshing honesty regarding her own marriage, Stormie encourages you to lovingly intercede for your wife.
|Disciplines of a Godly Man, Updated Edition with Study Guide
By R. Kent Hughes / Crossway
Work up a “spiritual sweat” with this beloved bestseller and accept the challenges of godly living! Hughes offers biblical wisdom; memorable illustrations; and practical suggestions to help you grow in godliness through the disciplines of purity, friendship, devotion, prayer, worship, integrity, perseverance, leadership, giving, and more. Updated edition features fresh content and a study guide. 336 pages, softcover from Crossway.
|31 Days of Prayer for My Wife
By The Great Commandment Network / Broadstreet Publishing Group
Your wife is a gift from God! Recall an image of Jesus you’ve likely seen on His knees, praying. Imagine leaning in and hearing Him speak your wife’s name. Experience His heart for your wife as you claim Bible promises for her future, know and cherish her as God does, and release your faith for her continued spiritual growth and kingdom impact.
31 Days of Prayer for My Wife shares:
God blessed you with your wife for a purpose. Support her through prayer and see the benefits in your own life.
|Lies Men Believe: And the Truth That Sets Them Free
By Robert Wolgemuth / Moody Publishers
Our enemy may prowl like a lion, but his weapon of choice is deception. And too often, men believe him – causing pain, destroying relationships, and missing out on the life God intends. In Lies Men Believe, Robert Wolgemuth exposes some of the most common lies and explains how they hold you back from freedom, joy, and intimacy with the Lord and others. Foreword by Patrick Morley.
|Lies Women Believe, Updated
By Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth / Moody Publishers
In this updated bestseller, Lies Women Believe, Nancy exposes those areas of deception most commonly believed by Christian women – lies about God, sin, priorities, marriage and family, emotions, and more. She then sheds light on how we can be delivered from bondage and set free to walk in God’s grace, forgiveness, and abundant life. Nancy offers the most effective weapon to counter and overcome Satan’s deceptions: God’s truth!
|Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
By Jennie Allen / WaterBrook
Feeling stuck, frustrated, and defeated? Allen believes the solution is simple: how we think shapes how we live. We can learn to stop thoughts that leave us prey to toxic patterns like victimhood, anxiety, and distraction. Drawing on biblical teaching and neuroscience, she shows how to fight the enemies of the mind with the truth of God.
|Drama Free: Finding Peace When Emotions Overwhelm You
By Cindi McMenamin / Harvest House Publishers
You know what drama is…in your circle of friends, your workplace, your extended family, and in the unexpected circumstances of life. But has it gotten to be too much? Discover a biblical script for a more peaceful life as you learn how to dial down the drama in your own life by responding appropriately to situations that would otherwise escalate and view high-maintenance individuals through the eyes of Christ.
The world may be a stage – but you can find freedom from the drama.
|The Prayer Map for Women: A Creative Journal
By Barbour Publishing
This unique prayer journal is an engaging and creative way for you to experience the power of prayer. Every page will guide you to create your very own prayer map as you write out specific thoughts, ideas, and lists, which you can follow–from start to finish–as you talk to God. The Prayer Map for Women will not only encourage you to spend time talking with God about the things that matter most…it will also help you build a healthy spiritual habit of continual prayer for life. Paperback with a spiral wire binding.
|Less Fret, More Faith: An 11-Week Action Plan to Overcome Anxiety
By Max Lucado / Thomas Nelson
Feeling overwhelmed by the worries and fears of life? You’re not alone! Lucado will help you fret less and rely on your faith more with these 11 practical steps. Each weekly entry includes Scripture verses for meditation and a prayer to reframe your thoughts. Includes passages from Anxious for Nothing. 64 pages, softcover from Nelson.
|Monthly Bill-Paying Organizer
By Product Concept Manufacturing
Comprehensize organizer helps you budget and keep track of your spending, saving, and giving – all in one handy spiral-bound binder. Features plenty of helpful tips and suggestions for saving money; space for you to note big purchases you’re saving for; space to note your sharing goals; easy charts to help you plan and stay on budget; reproducible charts for tracking month-by-month income and expense records; and pocket files for bills, receipts, bank records, and tax documents. All this is contained in 8″ x 10″ binder with inspiring Scriptures throughout to keep you focused on being a good steward of your money.