One Year Bible Reading Plan and Devotional
Today’s Bible Reading: January 16
Download the full one-year Bible reading plan here:[Download not found]
Clicking on the Scripture links above will open a new window where you can read the scripture from the Holman Christian Standard Bible at Biblegateway.com or choose the Bible version you prefer to read. Check back each day to get the Scripture to read in the One Year Bible Reading Plan.
Our Words Reveal What’s in our Heart
Almost every kid knows the saying, “Stick and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.” There is never a saying more untrue! In fact, words often hurt more than physical wounds. Why? Because we all know that if we say something, it comes from the heart. Our mouth reveals what’s in our heart. Have you ever said something hurtful and then try to smooth things over by saying, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that?” If you’re honest with yourself, yes you did.
Lingering Effects of hurtful words
Psychologists have found that the memories of hurtful words linger far longer than physical hurt. Guy Winch, Ph.D., listed five reasons that emotional pain is worse than physical:
- Memories Trigger Emotional Pain But Not Physical Pain. Recalling the time you broke your leg will not make your leg hurt but recalling the time you felt rejected by your high-school crush will cause you substantial emotional pain.
- We Use Physical Pain as Distraction from Emotional Pain Not Vice Versa. We rarely see a woman choosing to manage the pain of natural childbirth by rereading the rejection letter from her college of choice but teens will practice “cutting” as a way to relieve and distract themselves from deep emotional pain.
- Physical Pain Garners Far More Empathy from Others Than Emotional Pain. When we see a stranger get hit by a car we wince, gasp, or even scream and run to see if they’re OK. But when we see a stranger get bullied or taunted we are unlikely to do any of those things.
- Emotional Pain Echoes in Ways Physical Pain Does Not. If you got a call about your parent dying while you were having a romantic lobster meal with your partner on Valentine’s Day, it will probably be a few years before you can enjoy lobster or Valentine’s Day without becoming extremely sad. But if you broke your foot playing softball in an amateur league you will likely be back on the field as soon as you’re fully healed.
- Emotional Pain but Not Physical Pain Can Damage Our Self-Esteem and Long-Term Mental Health. Physical pain has to be quite extreme to affect our personalities and damage our mental health but even single episodes of emotional pain can damage our emotional health.
(you can read the complete article here)
Our words impact those around us
It’s true that our words impact those around us – both positively and negatively – and we can be both intentional and unintentional in hurting others with what we say. Sometimes our words don’t convey exactly what we’re intending to communicate. For example, here are a few announcements found in actual church bulletins:
- This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs. Smith to come forward and lay an egg on the altar.
- The ladies of the church have cast off clothing of every kind, and they may be seen in the church basement on Friday afternoon.
- This afternoon there will be a meeting in the South and North ends of the church. Children will be baptized at both ends.
While the above bulletin bloopers are simply poor grammar and word choices on the part of the writer and can be humorous, sometimes we say critical or unkind things as if they were a joke. However, if we are honest with ourselves, usually we feel there is some amount of truth to what we are saying when we are “just kidding”. We try to cleverly attempt to wrap up harsh words in a pun or some other attempt at humor, but such words still hurt.
From the abundance of the heart
Jesus taught that it is from the abundance of our heart that our mouth speaks. If it were not in our heart, it probably would not be coming out of our mouth. Our words shows our character and the character we should be showing is the glory of God in whom we are made in His image. Let’s make sure the words that are spoken come from a heart that is focused and in fellowship with our Savior. Make sure the words that spring forth from your heart and come out of your mouth build others up – not tear them down.
#ReadYourBible #Genesis #Matthew
Now you can enhance your Bible Reading with the Verse Mapping Template
Our Verse Mapping download is FREE and includes 6 pages: 3 pages of instructions for using the template and the 2 page template, plus the cover page. If you’re looking to go deeper into God’s Word, learn more about God and develop a stronger spiritual life, Verse Mapping will help you dig into the scriptures. As you apply God’s Word to your life, you will develop a more intimate knowledge and relationship with God.
Visit our three retail experiences:
Tee of the Week: Be Still & Know
With all that’s going on in the world today, sometimes we just need to be still and know that God is God and He is in control of all things. He is exalted among the nations and on the earth. From Psalm 46:10, this design is on t-shirts, long-sleeved tees, mugs, bags, tumblers and more. Click the link to see all the available products in this design.
Do you have an event on the calendar and need a speaker?
We’re offering 30% off our speaker fees as our gift to you if you book any 2022 event with us by December 31, 2021. Call today and use the discount code: CHRISTMAS2021.
We’re excited to be a part of your ministry and can’t wait to see you – no matter what size your event.
Visit our YouTube Channels for Christian playlists and our short animated devotionals.
Contemporary Christian Music Playlist
Southern Gospel Playlist
God, Love, and Marshmallow Wars
by Julia M. Bruce
What’s Inside God, Love, and Marshmallow Wars?
This book includes 365 daily activities and takes you on a guided journey through Biblical principles about Godly marriage that you can then apply to your marriage, as well as helping you talk through concepts that can help you develop a solid relationship. Inside you will find simple, quick activities that include:
- Scripture to memorize and meditate on
- Conversation Starters
- Concepts from the Bible on Godly marriages
- Romance Builders
- Relationship Builders
- Personal reflections
- Date ideas
- Group date ideas for you and other Christian couples
Available in hardback, paperback and ebook from Westbow Press Bookstore, Christian Book Distributors, Amazon, and Barnes & Nobel. Click the icons below to purchase from your preferred bookstore. Now also available at WalMart online.
Join the community of couples on Facebook who are committed to intentionally growing their marriage and learning how to have a marriage that honors God. Here you can post photos of the different activities as you do them, ask questions of other couples, share how God is using this book to strengthen your marriage, and grow with other Christian couples. We’ll see you in the community.
Bible Studies, Bibles, Books & More
Looking for a Bible Study, Bible, book or Christian gift? We are an affiliate with Christianbook Distributors and receive an 8% commission on any item purchased through one of our links. However, the commission never increases your cost of any item. View some of our favorite items by clicking on the logo and thank you for supporting our ministry.
Wellspring Christian Ministries receives an 8% commission on any purchased made from Christian Book Distributors through any affiliate link on this site. Your price for any item is the same as purchasing from CBD directly.